KARST’s commitment to equality
KARST believes in the power of the arts to bring people from diverse backgrounds together to exchange ideas, create work, share practices and give people a voice to contest the prejudices in our society.
We embrace the values of inclusivity, diversity, accessibility and equality so we support the Black Lives Matter movement and stand in solidarity with those challenging outdated attitudes and systems.
We take our role as an influencer of Plymouth’s cultural identity seriously and will maximise our efforts to ensure the voices of underrepresented members of our society are heard.
To achieve this, we will take an active lead to address structural and hidden racism and the inequalities underpinning society wherever we find them.
Here’s how we will do it:
- We will challenge ourselves to listen to, learn from and amplify marginalised voices—and we will change our actions accordingly;
- We will revisit existing diversity, equality, accessibility and inclusion policies, actions and plans to reinforce them to ensure they are fit for purpose and reflect fully our commitment to their principles;
- We will maintain a space where artists from all backgrounds can develop, collaborate and lead;
- We will reinforce zero tolerance of harassment and bullying;
- We will diversify our workforce, resident artists and network;
- We will revisit and reinforce formal diversity, equality, accessibility and inclusion action plans.